Thursday, July 28, 2011

The British Library.

The British Library is the national library of the U.K.  Now I have a Reader Pass for the British Library. Everyday the library received up to 8 thousand items for their collection, plus all items that was requested  by readers.
What did I learned today from our guided tour?  Books by Shakespeare on the display are all poems, why?  At that time, the play was designed for performance, and not for a reading.
The next stop, at the music display.  The written text of songs by the Beatles that never was recorded.
The map display.  We saw London before & after the Great Fire of 1666 side-by-side that represented the time with eye-level view.  We saw something really similar in the Museum of London, but the British Library has an original items on display. I liked maps collection at lot because it a very interesting  to see how people used their imagination to represent the world around them.
Magna Carta has 4 copies.  We saw one in the Salisbury Cathedral, and now two more copies in the British Library. [the Lincoln Cathedral has one more copy]
I also learned that people of London raised up 53 thousand pounds to help purchased  Codex Sinaiticus that Stalin was selling for 100, 000 pounds during the WWII.

I also browsed on my-own and visited all exhibits. I found a display with four old Russian post-cards, 1914, a visual presentation of 2214.  Although people in 'the 23rd century' costumes that are very similar to fashion of the early 20th century.  The buses are flying from the top floor of the buildings, and many-many airplanes up in the air, and many-many cars on the street with a really heavy traffic and a few accidents.  I smiled while I was looking on these post-cards: they are close to reality.

I wished that I can often come to the British Library and discover something new every time.


Today, I am choosing the backward view from my photo-collection: I want to look back, and I am looking to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment